Smart Areas is a new technology that will allow the user to connect automatically to a specific spot in the library via their smartphone.
- Automatic silence: This feature will automatically silence your cell phone when you enter in the area and it will de-activate when leaving.
- Direct communication: Organize and send information of your choice to mobile devices of other users depending on their exact location.
- Arealytics: Obtain statistics regarding the behavior and interaction of business clients, including data about the effectivity of publicity and campaigns.
- Web management: Easy management of the Smart Areas (content, statistics, configuration...) all from one simple platform.
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification)
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tags on printed, voice and visual materials that belong to the library holdings, can be read by means of new reading devices. These devices can recognize the RFID tags and also the ID tags of the IE community.
The Augmented Reality feature was developed with the Layar Creator application, which is used in the “Ask the Librarian” tool and is also used in IE Library's promotional brochure. By combining virtual functions with a physical object, the library offers the information electronically, which also makes it accessible to mobile devices.
QR (Quick Response Barcode), allows the user to instantly access the library's responsive website by scanning the QR code.
This is the development and implementation of an application that allows the use of this wearable Glass. Its application to the library offers the following services:
- Collect value-added information about the documents
- Recover information depending on the context
- Locate documents on the shelves
- Facial recognition of all users
- Maps with contextual help
- Localization help throughout the library
- Advertising services and holdings (marketing display)
The user can interact with the information using a multi-touch control device. By using Leap Motion, a small device found in front of the computer screen, the user can precisely capture hands, fingers and objects in movement. Because of this technology, the keyboard and mouse are replaced when the user needs to navigate the web, draw or zoom in (and out) on maps, photos, etc.
We would like to introduce Google Cardboard glasses! Usually they are made of cardboard, but in our case, we acquired ones made of foam, and they convert any smartphone into a virtual reality device.
All you have to do is:
Once you are in the app, select the photosphere option and “play”by placing the blue ball within the big circle as many times as you like. Move around the space taking as many pictures as you want; once you finish and save, the app will directly generate the 360º effect.
To view the photos, videos… select the last option, and play with the rest!
With the magnet on the left side you'll be able to scroll through the pictures; set the phone with the screen inward within the glasses, wear them, and enjoy the experience.
Check out this techcrunch video for more information.
If you want to try them, don´t hesitate to tell us.
Internet of things
Discover with World Around Me useful places such as IE Library, restaurants, ATMs, shops, bus/metro stations and more. Explore IE Library throuhg your phone’s camera on a completely new way. Point your camera on any direction and access the Library through the overlays of virtual signboards by Augmented Reality technology.
Mirror your mobile into any screen with and HDMI port with Chromecast and control it from your device.
My IE Library Account APP
With the new My IE Library Account APP, approachable for all the IE Community, you have available the IE Virtual Library 24 hours, 364 days anywhere in the world now from your smartphone.
With downloading the APP, you will be able to manage your IE Library personal space, consult the IE Catalog and access all the e-resources available (remember to log in with your IE credentials):
- Loans: consult your loaned materials, their return date and renew your loans.
- Holds: make or cancel your holds, consult your position in the hold queue and check if the materials you have requested are available for pick up at the Library.
- Fines: check any possible outstanding fine
- Search IE Library: Find the documents you that are most accurate to your needs in WorldCat, the world's largest library catalog.
My IE Library Account is available for download at:
Sensory immersion, using gestural actions, which allows access through the different types of documents, databases, e-books, electronic magazines, newspapers and media, websites, etc., to the electronic resources most used by IE users.
Geolocation service for printed documents
Starting from the application (app) that now offers the IE Library, users will have the possibility, via a virtual tour, to find physically , independently and from their own mobile phones, the printed document stored on the shelves of the library, necessary to cover their information needs.
Circulation service through mobile devices
Starting from the application (app) that now offers the IE Library, users can carry out, independently and from their own mobile phones, its own circulation service functionalities: loans, returns, payment of fines by credit card and timely notifications on the use of that service. These functionalities are thus added to those already offered now: renewals and reservations of printed documents, through such mobile devices.
Information service based on augmented reality technology
Through an application that uses augmented reality technology, the users can get catalog information from any printed document only approaching their mobile phone, once the application is opened, to the document.
Webcam and headphones loan
Ask IE Library staff for the conditions and loan of the headphones and webcam available.